Saturday, June 7, 2014

FFwD: Salmon Rillettes

I stalled all week before making the Salmon Rillettes from Around My French Table. I was thrown off by how much I disliked the smoked salmon waffles that I caught up on last week. The idea of more smoked salmon, in any capacity, didn't sound appetizing. On the other hand, I'm glad I did two smoked salmon recipes were back to back, because I was able to use up the leftover fish that I still had in the fridge.

This was easy to make. Diced salmon is poached very quickly in a white wine and spice mixture, then mixed up with smoked salmon, spring onions, a hot red pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, and butter. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours, then smear on some bread.
I was suprised by how much I enjoyed this. The smoked salmon is diluted enough to be non-aggressive, and the overall effect is of a light, fresh spread. Very tasty, and I loved the fact that I could make it during the day, while Charlie was at school, and not have to do anything but make a little salad to get ready for dinner. I read for the hour I would normally be cooking. It was glorious. (Reading The Goldfinch, if you care. I'm having a hot and cold relationship with this massive book. I adore giant chunks, and then it sloooooooows down. For a hundred pages. I digress.)

Matt wasn't as smitten with this recipe as I was, but he also didn't enjoy the benefit of being able to prepare it completely in advance. That scored big points for me.

13 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this more than you expected. I had the same feeling about The Goldfinch. Where was her editor? It was about 300 pages too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I have 1/4 of the book left to go, but throughout, I've wondered where her editor was.

      Delete
  2. It's great that you decided to make this - always good to use up leftovers. Leftovers are the bain of my single existence. (Not that I want to begin making dinner for a man every night again - that's off the dinner table, for sure.) When it's hot, for lunch or supper, a salad, salmon rillettes with a baguette and glass of wine is all you need. Easy Peasy. I am about ready to dive into The Goldfinch. It's a mixed bag - people's reaction to the book. This is the first time I've heard that Betsy thinks it's about 300 pages too long --- I decided to go ahead and read it because of her recommendation. Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, the parts that are good are SO good that it makes up for the questionable editing. It does make me a little insane to slog through a hundred pages of slow-moving minutia, only to turn the page and be greeted by a new chapter that starts, "Eight years later..." Are you kidding me? It's unrhythmic. Who am I to complain, though--those are probably the chunks that WERE edited out. We might be looking at a 2000 pager, otherwise.

      Delete
  3. Ei, your Salmon Rillettes have a great color and look just perfect alongside a wonderful fresh, mixed salad like you prepared. So nice to read that you and your husband enjoyed this week´s recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed this Ei. I was the reverse - liked the waffles, not so keen on the rillettes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I made the smoked salmon dishes back to back... The Goldfinch love the characters... but way too long. I read it quickly... and skim, skim, skim.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your serving of green salad with rillette on toast!

    I am still stuck on Donna's The Secret History where I fell in love with part of open winter skies in the abandoned and broken down building and do not remember why I did not read till the end........ and that was eons ago. I remember starting The Little Friend but I did not finish that book as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve had the Goldfinch for several months and still have not started it. Soon!!
    The salmon rillettes were a big hit in our house…my hubby loves fish! Your’s looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - I had the same feeling about The Goldfinch. I loved the book and devoured it to the end, but it definitely could have been a bit shorter. (The section in Las Vegas went on WAAAYYYY too long).

    Glad the rillettes were a step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the rillettes, too. I loved The Goldfinch - thought the slow parts, especially in Vegas, reflected the way that adolescence can be full of periods that drag on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I appreciated do-ahead recipes enough before Charlotte was born. I think almost anything tastes good if it's already prepared :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, I've already downloaded that book to my kindle. No choice now but to read it.

    ReplyDelete