Friday, January 30, 2015

FFwD: Croquants

I've never heard of Croquants (pg 410 of Around My French Table) before, but it turns out they're one of the simplest cookies that I've ever made. Chop nuts. Mix with sugar. Stir in egg whites. You don't even have to whip the whites into a meringue or anything. Straight from the egg and into the batter. Then stir in a little flour. Then bake. That's it.

I used salted cashews, because Dorie says they're her family's favorite. Who am I to argue with the experts? I also added vanilla, because why not?
Hello, my lovelies.
I'm in real danger of eating the entire output of this recipe. Dorie says that they're defined by their crunch texture. The edges of mine are crunchy, but the middles are chewy, and this is what is causing me to devise excuses to pass through the kitchen and grab another.

The bottoms of the cookies on my second tray burned slightly. These are so simple that the slight burn ruined the cookies. I'm pretty happy that I could, in good conscious, throw half out.
The remainder have to go to work with Matt tomorrow, because I'll take them down if I'm left alone with them for too long. They're so light, I don't even feel like I'm eating anything. Trouble.

Conclusion: Love them. Too much.

12 comments:

  1. Glad these were a hit! I may need to try them with cashews :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are light and you feel like it's ok to eat more than one ;) Interesting that the second batch burned... I baked 2 trays in my oven at once and they were ok. I also used silicone and it was fine! Glad you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it was easy to keep on going with these.
    Cashews - mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I'm glad I'm not the only one that happened to (the burned bottoms)! I've made these dozens of times and this was the first where they burned. They are good, though, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to try these with cashews too, I'll bet they are delicious. So easy to prepare
    and so easy to eat. Not good......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love crunchy outside chewy inside cookies and yes, if I like a cookie... I'm with you I can't stop eating them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's the chewy insides that keep me reaching into the cookie jar too. I loved these. Too bad they are so easy to make. It will be hard to resist making (and eating) these again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only make these when I have people to share them with, or I'd be in trouble - they're addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this chewy, crunchy cookie! Sure to be part of my cookie baking repertoire from now on! I agree with Teresa…they are addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cookies that feel like you are not eating anything are definitely trouble! Fun that you used Dorie's suggestion of cashews!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would agree with you that they did go down easy. It was nice to bake a cookie this week wasn't it? Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was right there with you, in danger of eating all the cookies! I made a half batch and managed to save 3 for Gary but then ate 1 of his:) Hello treadmill! I love how delicious and easy these are.

    ReplyDelete